Facts you should know about Speed Dating
What is a speed dating? It is an event, where singles experience meeting other single people at once, not spending too much time on a date with each person separately.
Nowadays it is becoming more and more popular because of the fast pace of life and the lack of time to spend on looking for our better half. Let us have a look at this new form of establishing relationship between a man and a woman. I am going to share with you some interesting facts about speed dating.
Fact #1. Who needs it? The aims of people who visit speed dating events are versatile. Some need communication, some want to have a good time, some people go there to rise their self-esteem, someone flirts and just enjoys the process, some people want a sexual partner, and, of course, those people, who really want to find their future husband or wife to create a family.
Fact #2. Where does it take place? The usual place is a café or a restaurant. If several couples appear after the first session, the company can organize a picnic for them later.
Fact #3. How does a session go? Usually it is a well-organized event, which has several steps:
You sign in to the session or buy a ticket from a company organizing this event.
In the place of the event there are several tables, where 2 or 4 people at each of them, meaning that you communicate 1х1 or 2х2. You also have cards with different questions on a speed date, which you can fill in after communicating with a girl and write down your impressions.
A mini-date lasts for about 5-7 minutes. Then you hear a signal and move to the next table. Usually men move while women stay at the same table.
When it finishes, the organizers gather the filled cards and check the results. If they find matches, i.e. mutual likes, they tell the participants about that and offer to exchange contact information with the interlocutor they liked. The results are usually announced on the following day after the speed dating session.
Fact #4. What is a speed dating dress code? If there is no special dress code chosen beforehand, choose something you are going to be comfortable in. If you put a suit, which you don`t really like, but your friend told you that it is smart, wear something that makes you feel confident. The way you dress is a part of your character, mood and a level of confidence. You may put on the best designer clothes, but if they make you feel awkward, there is no point in wearing them.
Let`s have a look at the pros of it:
- You do not spend many efforts. The only thing you have to do is to come in time. There is no need to have endless chats with a lady before meeting her.
- You meet more than one woman and have a chance to get to know her.
- You can see exactly the person you are communicating with, unlike communicating via internet.
- The organizers usually divide people into age groups, so you will not have to communicate someone much older or younger than you are.
- You do not have to spend a long time on preparation. Communication here is lively and tripping.
- You do not have to count hours till the end of the date if you do not like the interlocutor. In 5 minutes, you change the table and start a new conversation.
- It is a good way to spend an evening for a lonely person. Even if you do not meet love, you will learn a lot of interesting things.
- It is a good way to improve your communication skills. If you are shy and usually do not take the initiative it is a great chance to practice. The first time may be stressful, but then you get used to and going to be confident.
What are the disadvantages?
- It seems you are a part of a big conveyor, since each mini date takes 5-7 minutes. Which is not very romantic, is it? If you are that kind of person, who likes thinking over the details thoroughly, buying flowers and choosing a restaurant, then this format is not for you.
- Making acquaintances in such a way does not guarantee that you will find a person you will like to continue your communication with afterwards, let alone finding your better half there. That’s why you should be easy-going without making any expectations.
- Speed dating is an event visited by different people, some of whom can be inadequate. So, be prepared to strange and indecent offers.
- You can get very tired, as you have to talk to more than 10 people during one evening and actually repeat the same information about yourself.
- Sometimes it can be very difficult to switch to communication with another person.
- Not everyone can make an impression in 7 minutes. It is the skill to develop.
- Being in a hurry, you can forget to ask about something really important.
- Even if you have managed to find the right person, who likes you too, you have to get her interested in your future communication.
My female friend was encouraging me to join her in such event, but I don`t find it very efficient in regards to serious relationship. I like deep talks with a partner, I don`t consider such format as serious one. I would like to know the person more. When there is a real date, both spend much time for preparation. A man buys flowers, chooses a restaurant; a girl is buying a new dress, puts make up and does a hairstyle to impress him. It is more intimate and attention is only on you. But my friend attended one of such events and is satisfied with results, she found several male friends. They haven`t developed a romantic connection though, but they are good friends until now. They have a lot in common and spend a quality time every weekend now. One of my closest friend also gave me a positive feedback about speed dating. It is the way of entertaining and raising her self-esteem. She has no barrier to speak to new people, she can literally break the ice with any person, no matter what sex, age or nationality he is. Some people cannot open up so easily. I know many people in my circle who have really interesting personalities, they are fun to be with, but they are reserved with new acquaintances.
It is a good way to spend a good time and if you are lucky, you may find the one there. However, if you are interested in serious relationship and are looking for a woman, who wants to create a family you should not hurry. There are other ways more effective way too. Matchmaking is a serious approach to finding your significant one. It works in a completely different way. You are not alone, you will be supported by a group of professionals, who have a lot of experience in matchmaking. Before you meet your potential match, a team of professional will go through a search of ladies, who are going to meet all the criteria given by you. All the ladies, who address a matchmaking agency have a goal to get married. You will not find a lady who is still married, has a boyfriend or is looking for fun. These options are excluded here.
The way you are going to meet a life partner depends on you only. There are people who have successful results, having tried speed dating. The most adventurous ones met their halves through dating apps as Tinder, Badoo and others. Those who like to have some guarantees and feels that a team of professionals is what they really need to help to find a significant one, turn to marriage or matchmaking agencies.